The OSA online safety CPD training for school staff is a CPD-Certified course ensuring those working with children have an up to date knowledge of the statutory requirements they must meet, the threats to children online, how to reduce these risks, and guidance on ensuring staff use of digital technology is safe and responsible.
Free to access, the course has been completed by staff in schools across the UK. As of 30th January, 1,500 individuals had fully completed all elements within the course created for the academic year 2019-2020. In evaluations, over 97% of participants have indicated that they would recommend this course to others working in schools.
Recent feedback from a whole-staff training event:
“Completed by 60+ staff, a great resource which everyone found informative and relevant”.Deputy Headteacher
- It is a statutory requirement that schools provide safeguarding training to their staff once a year as a minimum.
- The DFE clarified guidance on the expectations of online safety education in schools in June 2019.
- Schools can work towards meeting these expectations with the OSA’s free online safety training for staff.
- The course provides tangible data and evidence that your staff have received and understood training on this important topic.
Updated for the 2019-2020 academic year
Our CPD updated training takes into account the latest issues and DFE guidance. Staff must successfully complete each of the following units to gain the certificate:
- Module One: Introduction
- Statutory requirements, including Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE);
- Procedures and policies for reporting safeguarding concerns;
- Summary of DFE guidance on online teaching;
- Summary of GDPR responsibilities for school staff.
- Module Two: Online risks to children
- Social media management for pupils;
- Online bullying;
- Physical and mental health issues;
- Grooming including radicalisation;
- Live streaming;
- Digital footprint management.
- Module Three: Supporting children
- Educating pupils;
- Internal and external support channels.
- Module Four: Staff use of digital technologies
- Awareness of school policies and expectations;
- Staff management of personal social media accounts;
- Managing communication with pupils and parents;
- Teacher Regulation Agency case studies of staff charged for inappropriate use of technology.
The course is delivered entirely online. Training is provided through high-quality presentations incorporating interactive activities, recent case studies, videos, extended reading opportunities and opportunities for reflection. Greater levels of interaction have been included than in the previous version of this course, with knowledge checks built into all resources.
As with all online training, the time to complete the course will vary a great deal from person to person. Some will be keen to complete quickly whereas others will spend longer reflecting on the learning provided and will explore additional links more thoroughly. The chart below shows evaluation feedback from several hundred school staff who have completed the course for the academic year 2019-2020.
Feedback from participants on the OSA CPD certification has been overwhelmingly positive, as shown by the evaluation data and testimonials shown below.
Gain access to OSA Certificate of staff CPD
|Individual Access||School Package||Premium Package|
|Course enrolment using Google/Microsoft accounts||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Full access to all training materials||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Access to all module assessments||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Accredited CPD certification on course completion||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|School administrator account to monitor staff progress towards certification||Yes||Yes|
|Course enrolment using bespoke accounts||Yes||Yes|
|Whole-school participation certificate||Yes||Yes|
|Full access to online safety certification for KS3-KS5*||Yes|
|Full access to online safety training for parents*||Yes|
|Sign up||Sign up||Sign up|
* For details of our popular courses for pupils and parents visit www.onlinesafetyalliance.org/osa-certificate/
See the flyer below for more details about this popular course. Please share it with colleagues involved in managing CPD and safeguarding within your establishment.